Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Tatting at Old Economy Village

Below is a picture of my Mom, Peg. She taught me to tat in 1989. My Mom learned how to tat from her friend, Evelyn. My Mom, Evelyn, and Kathy Nicklewicz and a few other ladies from Beaver County demonstrate tatting at the historical village of Old Economy. I taught my daughter to tat a few years ago, so we have three generations tatting now! I have only demonstrated a couple of times with them and I wanted to post a picture of us at old Economy from 2005. It is a lot of fun to demonstrate at Old Economy, I hope to do it again this summer with my Mom.


Peg, Katrina & Evelyn

Katrina & Carol (that's me)


Peg (my Mom), Evelyn, & Carol


Tatting display that Kathy puts together.
To see more of Kathy's tatting click on her name.

Old Economy Village, Ambridge, PA, the third and final home of the Harmony Society, was built by one of America's ost successful Christian communal groups. In 1804, the Harmonists migrated to America from Iptingen (near Stuttgart) in southwest Germany seeking religious and economic freedom. Nearly 800 farmers and craftsmen followed their leader George Rapp (1757-1847) first to Butler County, Pennsylvania and then to Posey County, Indiana. They stayed 10 years in each, building and naming their towns Harmony. The towns were designed by Frederick Rapp (1775-1834), the adopted son of the Founder.

In 1824, the Harmony Society returned to Beaver County, Pennsylvania and settled in Old Economy. To read more about this restored historical village, click on the link at the beginning of this post.



10 comments:

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

So awesome! I wish I had family members to tat with! What a precious memory! Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

What a nice family experience you had to go with your mother and daughter and demonstrate tatting. That is really neat. What a beautiful historic place.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

What a lovely tatting history! I lived in Philadelphia until I was 13, when my dad was transfered to Chicago. We looked at a house near Beaver College, where I really wanted to study... there was a castle that could be seen from the back yard! Is Beaver College in Beaver County? I must get back to Pennsylvania again to do some exploring!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

They are very precious memories. I enjoy sitting and tatting with my Mom.

Diane, I think Beaver College is way on the other side of PA from me, I am in Western PA and I think Beaver College is in Easter PA.

Marilee Rockley said...

That is very special to have 3 generations of tatters in the same family. These are wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing. A beautiful display in a beautiful setting!

Ais said...

WOW!! A family that tats together, stays together!!:D Beautiful history!

My mother introduced me to Tatting and taught me to knit, sew and a lot of other stuff. I learned crochet because I was amazed by my Mother-in-Law's ( may she rest in peace) doilies. My aunts and sister in laws crochet too. I don't have pics of us working but your pictures just make me want to have pics of us working too. :D It will be such a memory. May be someday I can show it to my daughter and say, "my mother tatted, I tat and all women folks in our family tat." And then may be she'll be inspired enough to ask me to teach her...:D

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Carol I always enjoy visiting your blog. Your tatting is awesome and always brings a smile to my face when I see it. How great that you have three generation of tatters in your family. You are very fortunate. Hugs Judy

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

AIS, Thank you for your comments. It is very special that I can share the tatting with my Mom and daughter. You have a special connections in your family too that you share. And yes, you need to take pictures to share of your family tatting together!!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Judy, Thank you for your lovely comments, that made my day! Hugs, Carol